Royal Oak to Replace Downtown Trees
The City of Royal Oak plans to replace several trees that are slated for removal during the course of the 2015 sidewalk improvement program in the Central Business District.
The trees scheduled for removal, many of which were installed four decades ago, are currently lifting and damaging sidewalks. The problem with these trees can be attributed to the shallow depth of tree planting in the 1980s. It was understood at that time that the trees could cause damage to city sidewalks, roads and utilities and would likely need to be removed and replaced at some point in time. The time, regretfully, is now.
After exploring options with its contractor, the city has identified approximately 60 for removal and replacement at a cost of are $1,950 per tree. This cost will be offset by savings in other areas identified in the sidewalk program.
Where trees are removed, new trees will be planted at an appropriate depth to ensure a long life span with minimal future impacts on adjacent sidewalks.
Information For Royal Oak Water And Sewer Customers Regarding Class Action Law Suit
Certain Royal Oak residents may receive notice this month of a “class action” lawsuit against the city entitled “Schroeder v. City of Royal Oak.” This webpage provides you with some of the important details about this case. We hope that the information provided here will help you to better understand the background of the case, the complicated legal issues it raises and how the eventual outcome of the case may impact you.
If you qualify as a member of the class, you will receive notice from the law firm of Kickham Hanley, PLLC, which is representing the plaintiffs.
If you receive this notice and have additional questions regarding the lawsuit, please visit this firm’s website:
'Embrace the Barrels' Kicks Off with Giveaways and Free Parking!
Embrace the Barrels is a 10-week long promotion for Washington Avenue during the scheduled construction, beginning June 9 through Aug. 13. To help the businesses during these busy summer months, the Royal Oak Downtown Development Authority, in partnership with the City of Royal Oak, will be offering giveaways at featured Washington businesses and free parking on select days.
On Tuesdays and Thursdays, a featured business will be giving away a signature product to the first 100 people to visit the business. See below for a complete list of giveaways.
On Wednesdays during construction, there will be free parking in the Center Street and Sixth & Lafayette Parking Structures with a purchase from a participating Washington Avenue business. These businesses will provide customers with a parking validation upon purchase to exit the structures without paying.
Gary Baglio, owner of Five15, a Washington Avenue business, and member of the Royal Oak DDA gave his thoughts on this promotion, “It’s important that we have fun with the construction, as it is happening whether we like it or not! We thought that providing incentives for people to support these Washington Avenue businesses during the busy summer months could both help the businesses and give something back to our guests.”
The Mayor of Royal Oak, Jim Ellison, is also in support of this program, “We recognize that this construction will be impacting the Washington Avenue businesses during their busy season, which is why we thought it was really important to support this program. We want to help these businesses thrive and think this promotion is a good way to do so.”
- Tuesday, June 23: Write Impressions: Travel Candle from Paddy Wax
- Thursday, June 25: Gayle's Chocolates: Gayle's 2.5 oz. Chocolate Bar of Customer's Choice
- Tuesday, June 30: Bra~vo Intimates: Bra wash formula
- Thursday, July 2: Lily's Seafood: Any item from the "Cheap Eats" menu. Available all day and includes: Bowl of Creole, Asian Chicken Taco, Fried Shrimp Po Boy, Sweet Potato Fries, Seasoned Fries, Spicy Tilapia Fingers, Smoked Salmon Mousse, Crispy Calamari, Calypso Crab Cake Slider, Cuban Slider, Black Angus Slider or Tortilla Chips & Salsa
- Tuesday, July 7: Wilhelmina Fashions: Earrings or bracelet
- Thursday, July 9: Cafe Muse: Butterscotch Pudding
- Tuesday, July 14: Gentlemen's Consignment
- Thursday, July 16: Scout: Pocket Notebook w/ Tree Bark Pencil and a sample Votivo Candle w/ Matches
- Tuesday, July 21: Five15 Media, Mojo & More: 20oz. Frozen Hot Chocolate or Salted Caramel Frappe
- Thursday, July 21: L'Esprit Academy: Full sized WELLA product of choice: shampoo, conditioner or styling product
- Tuesday, July 28: The Crepe: Soup of the Day or House Salad
- Thursday, July 30: The Dirt Label: Custom Designed Button Packs
- Tuesday, August 4: Trattoria da Luigi: Any dessert item from menu
- Thursday, August 6: Blu Jeans Blues: Inspirational or Leather Bracelet
- Tuesday, August 11: Baskin Robbins: Single Scoop of Ice Cream
- Thursday, August 13: Nada & Co.: Vintage Style Clips
PARKING VALIDATION LOCATIONS
Blue Jean Blues
Five15: Media, Mojo & More
Nada & Co.
Rail & Anchor
The Accessories Shop
The Dirt Label
Trattoria da Luigi